Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, with three-bay ground floor and two-bay upper floors. Now in multiple occupancy. Double-pile slate roof gabled to rear set behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping. Shared brick and rendered chimneystack to north party wall and further angled chimneystack abutting rear elevation, all having clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to painted granite plinth course above ruled-and-lined rendered basement. Yellow brick to rear elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, patent rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Boarded up windows to basement and round-headed stair window to rear elevation with replacement window. Round-headed door opening with projecting moulded masonry surround and painted masonry doorcase. Timber panelled door cobweb iron fanlight. Door opens onto granite-flagged platform bridging basement area, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and opening onto pavement via four granite steps. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on painted moulded granite plinth wall with steel steps leading to basement. Square-headed door opening at basement level, boarded up.
This late Georgian townhouse maintains the parapet height and fenestration pattern of neighbouring buildings, bringing a pleasing symmetry to the streetscape. It retains a fine, decorative doorcase with a detailed fanlight. The retention of the iron railings to the basement, and granite steps to the entrance, provides an appropriate setting to the building. The house also forms part of a terrace which was laid out by Luke Gardiner II as part of the development of Mountjoy Square in 1792.