Categories of Special Interest
1875 - 1885
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1880, with garden to front. Double-span slate pitched roof hipped to north with terracotta ridge tiles. Two red brick chimneystacks with dentillated brick cornice, cement coping and four replacement terracotta chimney pots on party wall to north and single dentillated red brick chimney on south wall. Painted timber over-sailing bracketed eaves. Red brick wall laid in Flemish bond to painted masonry plinth course with painted chamfered vermiculated quoins to northeast corner and one cast-iron air brick. Red brick screen wall with stone coping to north of house containing square-headed door opening with rendered reveals leading to side of house, now boarded up. Ruled-and-lined rendered raised basement and side elevation. Square-headed window openings to first floor and basement, and three narrow segmental-headed window openings to ground floor, one to south and two, offset, to north with gauged brick surrounds and painted stone sills. Replacement uPVC windows throughout. Stilted-headed gauged red brick door opening forming Lombardic porch with painted flat quoins and moulded arch supported by columns with foliated capitals on bases and low pedestals sheltering recessed timber panelled door and glazed screen defined with moulded chevron ornament and replacement spoked fanlight. Door opens onto tiled platform and five round-nosed granite steps enclosed by steel railings on granite plinth walls. Original wrought-iron railings enclosing basement to north of steps with gate. Open gravelled car park area shared with No. 34 enclosed by original cast-iron railings on a granite-capped low red brick wall with matching pedestrian gate.
Lining the west side of the street, this pair of houses larger and more elaborate than the pair to the south. Interest is added by the fenestration arrangement, with a large mullioned tripartite window over the the narrow pair to the ground floor. Further interest is added by the slightly spocketed roof profile. Together the pair form an aesthetically pleasing composition in the middle of this important street. Gardiner Street Upper runs northwest from Mountjoy Square to Dorset Street Lower and was laid out and partially developed by Luke Gardiner, c.1790-1820. The west side of the street is book-ended by late-Georgian four-storey over basement terraces but development took place piecemeal thereafter and the street was finally completed with the building of this fine pair of Victorian houses and another pair to the south. The east side of the street is lined with a terrace of two-bay three-storey over basement houses, built c.1840, larger four-storey over basement terraced houses and the fine façade Church of Saint Francis Xavier, with its Greek Ionic portico, built in 1829, to the south.