Survey Data

Reg No

50010763


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


Date

1875 - 1885


Coordinates

315811, 235633


Date Recorded

06/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached three-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1880, with garden to front. Double-span slate pitched roof hipped to south and terracotta ridge tiles. Two red brick chimneystacks with dentillated brick cornice, cement coping and four replacement terracotta chimney pots on party wall to north and single dentillated red brick chimney on south wall. Painted timber bracketed eaves and soffitt. Red brick wall laid in Flemish bond to painted masonry plinth course with painted chamfered vermiculated quoins to south-east corner and one cast-iron air brick. Ruled-and-lined rendered raised basement and side elevation. Square-headed window openings to first floor and basement, and three narrow segmental-headed window openings, with uPVC replacement sashes throughout. Stilted-headed gauged red brick door opening forming Lombardic porch with painted flat quoins and moulded arch supported by columns with foliated capitals on bases and low pedestals sheltering recessed timber panelled door and glazed screen defined with moulded chevron ornament and replacement spoked fanlight. Door opens onto tiled platform and five round-nosed granite steps enclosed by steel railings on granite plinth walls. Original wrought-iron railings enclosing basement to south of steps with gate. Open gravelled car park area shared with No. 35 enclosed by original cast-iron railings on granite-capped low red brick wall. Wall broken at No. 34 to allow vehicular access. Steel shuttered gate to side elevation providing access to rear.

Appraisal

Lining the west side of the street, this pair is larger and more elaborate than that to the south. The houses have a distinctive fenestration provided by a large, mullioned tripartite window over the the narrow pair to the ground floor. Further interest is added by the slightly spocketed roof profile. The large recessed doorway with its elegant colonettes and block-and-start surround provides a strong decorative focus. Together the pair form an aesthetically pleasing composition in the middle of this important street. Gardiner Street Upper runs northwest from Mountjoy Square to Dorset Street Lower and was laid out and partially developed by Luke Gardiner, c.1790-1820. The west side of the street is book-ended by late-Georgian four-storey over basement terraces but development took place piecemeal thereafter and the street was finally completed with these Victorian houses and another pair to the south. The east side of the street is lined with a terrace of two-bay three-storey over basement houses, built c.1840, larger four-storey over basement terraced houses and the fine fa├žade Church of Saint Francis Xavier, with its Greek Ionic portico, built in 1829, to the south.