Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now converted into flats. M-profile pitched slate roof concealed behind parapet wall with granite coping, having rendered chimneystacks to north with clay pots. Cast-iron hopper breaking through parapet wall and cast-iron downpipe. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course above rendered basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, flush rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows; eight-over-eightpane to ground level, six-over-six pane to upper floors and replacement uPVC to basement. Three-centred brick arched door opening with projecting moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase, having replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and bipartite fanlight. Door opens onto sloping granite-flagged platform with wrought-iron bootscraper, bridging basement area, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and opening onto pavement via single granite step. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on granite plinth wall with matching gate. Steel steps to basement with square-headed door opening and timber panelled door.
Presenting a pleasant aspect to the street, this house forms part of a terrace of similarly designed buildings laid out by Luke Gardiner II as part of the development of Mountjoy Square in 1792. The fine doorcase provides a decorative focus, and the retention of timber sash windows contributes to the historic character of the building. The iron railings and granite paving to the entrance provide an appropriate setting to the house.