Survey Data

Reg No

50010757


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1820 - 1840


Coordinates

315819, 235672


Date Recorded

07/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, concealed behind parapet wall with granite coping, having rendered chimneystacks to north. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course above ruled-and-ruled rendered basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, painted masonry sills and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Three-centred-arched door opening with projecting moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase, having original flat-panelled timber door with bolection mouldings and brass door furniture, flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto shared granite-flagged platform bridging basement area, enclosed by original decorative cast-iron railings on plinth wall opening onto pavement via four nosed granite steps. Basement area enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall. Square-headed door opening at basement level with half-glazed timber panelled door.

Appraisal

This house forms part of a relatively intact terrace of modestly-proportioned late Georgian townhouses lining the east side of Upper Gardiner Street. The symmetry of the fa├žade is enlivened by the retention of the original doorcase and fronting railings while reinstatement of timber sash windows enhances the integrity of the house. Upper Gardiner Street was laid out by Luke Gardiner II as part of the development of Mountjoy Square in 1792.