Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. Pitched M-plan roof, half-hipped to rear (east) elevation, hidden behind parapet wall with granite ashlar coping, having shared yellow brick chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods (partially replacement) to north. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond to granite plinth course above rendered basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, flush rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC sash-type windows. Three-centred arch door opening formed in brick with projecting moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase, having flat-panelled timber door with bolection mouldings, flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto sloping granite-flagged platform bridging basement area, having wrought-iron bootscraper and enclosed by original wrought-iron railings with cast-iron corner posts and opening onto pavement via two granite steps. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on painted moulded granite plinth wall with steel steps to basement area. Segmental-headed door opening at basement level with timber panelled door.
This modest late Georgian townhouse retains a good doorcase and the iron railigs to its basement area, items that contribute decorative and visual interest to the building. The parapet height and fenestration alignment, shared with the neighbouring buildings, ensures that this building maintains the visual consistency of a terrace lining the east side of Upper Gardiner Street and which was laid out by Luke Gardiner II as part of the development of Mountjoy Square in 1792.