Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1830. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping, shared brick chimneystack to south and shared cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through parapet wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course above rendered basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Decorative iron balconettes to first floor. Three-centred arched door opening formed in brick having projecting moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement flat-panelled timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice with plain glazed fanlight over. Door opens onto sloping granite-flagged platform with wrought-iron bootscraper, bridging basement area, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, opening onto pavement via two granite steps. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railing on painted moulded granite plinth wall.
This house is part of a terrace of modest late Georgian townhouses, part of the development of Mountjoy Square and laid out by Luke Gardiner II in 1792. Retaining its original façade composition and conforming to the rhythmic fenestration of the remainder of the terrace, the house has constitutes a significant component of a relatively intact streetscape. The fine doorcase, iron railings to the basement area and the granite steps to the entrance, all contribute decorative and visual interest to the building and its setting.