Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Corner-sited terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1830, with raised basement to front and side elevations. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with granite coping and two shared brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course above rendered basement. Portland limestone date-plaque to south side elevation stating 'Sherrard Street 1825'. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, flush rendered reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Two-bay south side elevation with brick blind bays to the east at each level. Round-headed door opening formed in brick with projecting moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Doric doorcase, and replacement flat-panelled timber door flanked by Doric columns on plinth bases supporting plain entablature with plain fanlight. Door opens onto sloping granite-flagged platform bridging basement area, enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts, opening onto pavement via single granite step. Basement area to front and side elevations enclosed by wrought-iron railing on moulded granite plinth wall.
This late Georgian townhouse is prominently located at the junction of Upper Gardiner Street and Sherrard Street Upper, successfully stitching two streetscapes together in a seamless and considered way. Its simple classically inspired doorway and the blind openings to the side elevation add visual interest, and the building is anchored by the railings to the basement area and by the granite paving to the entrance. The house forms part of a terrace laid out by Luke Gardiner as part of the development of Mountjoy Square in 1792. The date plaque adds further historical merit to the building.