Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1825 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1828. One of pair. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile slate roof hidden behind parapet wall having granite coping and two shared stepped brick chimneystacks with brick coping and clay pots. Brick walls laid in Flemish bond to painted granite plinth course and rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings, rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed door opening formed in brick with moulded painted masonry surround, with replacement timber panelled door flanked by slender pilasters and over-sized scrolled console brackets supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and three steps, bridging basement area, with cast-iron bootscraper and enclosed by wrought-iron railing and cast-iron corner posts on painted granite plinth wall, also enclosing basement area.
The simple facade of this building is enhanced by the retention of its doorcase and by the iron railings to the basement area.Its proportion and fenestration pattern conform to those of its neighbours, to contribute to a pleasing streetscape. This modest late Georgian townhouse forms part of a terrace on the north side of Sherrard Street Upper and the street constitutes an important link between Gardiner Street Upper and the junction of Belvidere Place, Belvidere Road and North Circular Road. The terrace was laid out in the late 1820s by its namesake, Thomas Sherrard, on land which was originally part of the Gardiner Estate.