Survey Data

Reg No

50010743


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Saint Francis Xavier's Boys Club


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Clubhouse


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1825 - 1830


Coordinates

315902, 235680


Date Recorded

07/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1828. Now in multiple occupancy. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with rendered course below granite coping and replacement rainwater goods breaking through parapet wall. Shared stepped brick chimneystack to north party wall with octagonal clay pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt to second floor, on painted granite plinth course and rendered wall to basement. Diminutive rendered and glazed niche containing painted religious statue between ground floor openings. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and one-over-one pane hardwood sliding sash windows, with six-over-six pane to basement. Ornate wrought-iron balconettes to first floor. Gauged brick three-centred arched door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase, having replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain fanlight. Door opens onto granite paved platform, bridging basement area, enclosed by replacement iron railing and opening onto street via two granite steps. Basement area enclosed by iron railing on granite plinth wall accessed via steel steps.

Appraisal

Sharing the parapet height, fenestration pattern and fabric of its neighbouring buildings, this modest late Georgian townhouse makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. Forming part of a terrace lining the north side of Sherrard Street Upper, laid out by Thomas Sherrard, Clerk of the Wide Street Commissioners, in the 1820s, on land which originally consituted part of the Gardiner Estate, this building served as Saint Francis Xavier Boys Club in the mid-twentieth century, and the niche reflects the religious associations of the building. The retention of a good doorcase and wrought-iron balconettes, of a similar design to those of the buildings on either side, adds decorative interest and increases the sense of continuity in this relatively intact terrace.