Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced two-bay three-storey house over raised basement, built c.1880, now in office use with Nos. 27 and 28. M-profile artificial slate roof with clay ridge tiles and profiled red brick chimneystacks to west party wall. Replacement uPVC gutter supported on moulded red brick brackets with cast-iron downpipe. Machine-cut red brick walls laid in Flemish bond on chamfered granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, three-over-three pane and two-over-two pane to basement with iron grilles. Three-sided canted bay window to ground and basement levels with continuous granite sill and hipped lead-lined roof with terracotta corbels to gutter. Gauged and bull-nosed brick round-headed door opening with inset chamfered brick surround. Original flat-panelled timber door with lintel cornice and plain glazed fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and seven nosed granite steps enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall. Red and black tiled footpath through front garden with cast-iron coal-hole cover and enclosed to street by cast-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with original iron gate on red brick piers.
No. 26 forms part of a terrace of three red brick houses built on south side of Upper Sherrard Street c.1880. Its handsome brickwork, with detailed eaves to the roof and to the bay window, is eyecatching, as is the somewhat undersized doorway. The retention of timber sash windows, panelled door, polychrome paving, and railings, all enhance the appearance of the building and its setting. Sherrard Street Upper formed part of the Gardiner Estate and was named after Thomas Sherrard, city surveyor and developer.