Survey Data

Reg No

50010739


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1785 - 1805


Coordinates

315852, 235741


Date Recorded

05/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1795, with two-bay ground floor and single-bay upper floors and basement, and with two-storey flat-roofed extension to rear. Now in multiple occupancy. M-profile pitched artificial slate roof, rear section hipped to west. Two brown brick chimneystacks with yellow pots, shared with neighbour to east, all set behind granite-capped parapet with shared rainwater goods breaking through to east. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond, having painted stone plinth course above painted rendered basement walling. Unpainted render to rear elevation. Gauged flat-arch window openings with painted stone sills, brick reveals and granite sills, having timber sliding sash windows to front elevation, six-over-six pane to ground floor, eight-over-eight pane to top floor, and part-replacement six-over-six pane to first floor. Segmental-headed door opening with painted moulded reveals, replacement timber door, flanked by bracketed timber panelled pilasters supporting panelled timber lintel cornice, with timber spoked fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform with two rendered steps, and cast-iron boot-scrape. Garden to front, with ramped concrete access path, cast-iron pedestrian gate having painted masonry piers with granite caps, and matching decorative cast-iron railings on painted masonry plinth wall, continuous with adjacent house to east.

Appraisal

This former house is one of an identical pair in a late Georgian-style terrace, one of the oldest on the North Circular Road. It retains most of its external fabric, including some timber sash windows, and is enhanced by its fine doorcase and simple fanlight, retained front garden and pleasant railings. The North Circular Road, which encircles the north side of the city centre in a tree-lined embrace, was laid out in response to an Act of 1763, after a slow start, in the 1780s. The terrace is now predominantly surrounded by late Victorian terraces. The road is a major traffic artery, but the presence of fine, mature, London Plane trees create a boulevard-like ambience.