Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1785 - 1805


315865, 235737

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1795, with two-storey flat-roofed extension to full width of rear, and small shed to front of basement. Now in multiple occupancy. Formerly in use as hospital. Pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to east side, with granite-capped parapet to street elevation, one brick chimneystack on party wall with No.454, and cast-iron downpipe with replacement uPVC hopper. Buff brick wall laid in Flemish bond with recessed pointing to painted stone string course at ground floor level over painted render walls to basement level, that to east basement area roughcast. Unpainted render to rear elevation. Gauged flat-arch window openings with painted patent reveals and painted stone sills. Original timber sliding sash windows to front elevation, being six-over-six pane excepting one Wyatt-style original window with margin sashes to ground floor, one replacement window to second floor, and replacements to basement. Segmental-headed door opening with painted moulded reveals, replacement timber door, flanked by engaged pilasters and bracketed cornice with spoked fanlight. Replacement door to basement on east side of entrance and boarded timber door to storage area under entrance steps. Door opens onto granite platform and two granite steps leading to path and three further steps through front garden to original decorative iron pedestrian gate set between two masonry and granite-capped piers set in painted masonry wall with granite capping and original railings. Single-storey shallow pitched roof masonry shed in separate ownership to rear of property opening directly onto Dorset Lane.


This house forms the three-bay centrepiece of a terrace of two-bay houses, and part of one of the oldest terraces on the North Circular Road. Named the 'Maison de Santé or 'House of Health' on the first edition Ordnance Survey map, the building operated as a hospital for the treatment of 'Scrofula (tuberculosis) and Diseases of the Skin'. It was established in 1816 under the patronage of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. The North Circular Road, which encircles the north side of the city centre in a tree-lined embrace, was laid out in response to an Act of 1763, after a slow start, in the 1780s. The terrace is now predominantly surrounded by late Victorian terraces. No.456 is the only three-bay house in this terrace, whose façade is enlivened by the addition of a Wyatt window to the one ground floor. Together with the intact boundary wall, railings and gate, the house contributes significantly to this early terrace that is lined with mature London Plane trees, part of a leafy artery encircling the inner city.