Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Social Technical
1920 - 1940
Freestanding cast-iron pillar box, manufactured c.1930, with round plan, domed top and moulded corona. Now disused. Raised and framed notice slot beneath moulded frame of letter slot. Integrated handle to hinged opening with 'P & T' in traditional raised lettering. Located at junction of North Circular Road and Dorset Street Lower.
This is a typical example of a post box type standardised in 1874, which can be dated by the insignia they carry. This one dates to the second or third decade of the twentieth century. Though disused, it has value as functional design heritage, and provides visual interest and context.