Survey Data

Reg No

50010706


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1780 - 1900


Coordinates

315641, 235486


Date Recorded

16/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1790, with decorative granite shopfront inserted to ground floor c.1890. Formerly grocers, now in use as café, with kitchen on first floor and flats to upper floors. Flat roof behind moulded parapet cornice having modillion blocks and flanked by decorative panelled console brackets. Brown brick chimneystack to south party wall. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walls with decorative plasterwork including channel rusticated soldier quoins, neo-classical festoons between second and third floors and central cartouche framing house number. Smooth cement rendered walls to rear elevation with nineteenth-century timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings with architrave surrounds, apron blocks and panels and replacement uPVC windows. Symmetrical nineteenth-century granite shopfront comprises central square-headed door opening with replacement glazed timber door flanked by granite piers, pair of fixed timber display windows on timber stall risers and moulded granite plinth course with full-span incised timber fascia with lettering 'T & J. Hogan' and deep moulded granite cornice above, all flanked by granite ashlar pilasters surmounted by elaborate foliate scrolled console brackets and ball finials.

Appraisal

With its origins as a late eighteenth-century townhouse this decoratively embellished façade was adapted for commercial use at the turn of the twentieth century and retains much of its detailing from that period. The good-quality carved granite shopfront is matched by neo-classical façade mouldings and is a conspicuous element on an terrace of varying but restrained elevations. Its decorative features and details make it a distinctive part of the streetscape.