Survey Data

Reg No

50010700


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1750 - 1770


Coordinates

315598, 235469


Date Recorded

08/09/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1760. Now in use as offices. Hipped roof hidden behind rendered parapet wall with painted coping and shared brick chimneystack to south party wall with clay pots. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and replacement windows throughout. Projecting replacement timber bay window to ground floor. Round-headed door opening with painted stone Gibbsian doorcase, original timber door with eight raised-and-fielded panels and with plain fanlight. Door opens onto concrete platform and four concrete steps enclosed by cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall, returning to enclose paved basement area.

Appraisal

This early Georgian townhouse forms part of a terrace of various house types of similar vintage. Although the windows have all been replaced, the early doorcase with its intact panelled door and railed steps clearly indicate the age and style of this building which, together with its neighbours, constitutes the oldest and most intact stretch of buildings on Dorset Street Upper.