Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, now in use as retail outlet with recent timber shopfront to ground floor and accommodation over. Flat roof with red brick chimneystack behind parapet wall with squared granite coping. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to front (south) elevation having enamelled Japan ware advertising sign to upper facade. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with brick reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Camber-headed door opening to east end of shopfront having chamfered brick reveals, timber panelled door and overlight.
Located on one of the original highways running north from the city, this fine Georgian-era house is one of only a handful of Georgian buildings remaining along this stretch of the street. This building is flanked by recent structures and thus indicates the earlier nature of the streetscape. The retention of timber sash windows enhances the building.