Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1760 - 1775


315670, 234921

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built in period 1763-73, now in office use. M-profile slate roof, hipped to north with smaller hipped section set perpendicular to rear. Shared brick chimneystacks with clay pots to south party wall. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with concrete coping and shared cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to south. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with recent lime pointing. Chamfered granite plinth course over rendered basement walls. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, granite sills and early replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows to lower floors and two-over-two pane windows to third floor. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded stone surround and stone Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting Greek key lintel cornice with plain fanlight. Door opens onto platform with replacement granite paving flush to street, bridging basement area. Platform and basement area enclosed by replacement iron railings and steel gates to platform. Iron gate and steel steps give access to basement.


Originally leased by Dr. Bartholomew Mosse in 1748, the plots along here were laid out by Luke Gardiner in 1753. This house was considerably altered during the nineteenth century and owes much of its present appearance to that period, with the retention of an Ionic doorcase and late nineteenth-century fenestration, thus forming part of the varied architectural detailing that gives Parnell Square some of its inherent character and appeal.