Survey Data

Reg No

50010627


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1760 - 1775


Coordinates

315674, 234916


Date Recorded

06/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built in period 1763-73. Now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south with large brick chimneystacks to north party wall having clay pots. Roof hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and shared cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to north. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls, painted brick to ground floor with chamfered granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills. Replacement timber sliding sash windows to lower floors, six-over-six pane to middle floors and one-over-one pane to ground floor, and replacement timber windows to top floor. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded masonry surround and late nineteenth-century Doric doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by Doric columns on plinth blocks supporting replacement timber box lintel and nineteenth-century teardrop fanlight. Door opens onto platform with replacement granite paving and single granite step bridging basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on moulded granite plinth wall and replacement iron gates enclosing platform to street. Matching wrought-iron gate gives basement access via steel steps.

Appraisal

Originally leased by Dr. Bartholomew Mosse in 1748, these plots were laid out by Luke Gardiner in 1753. This house was built by John Ensor, along with Nos. 1, 4, 5 and 14, and was considerably altered during the late nineteenth century, with little original fabric except for a nineteenth-century doorcase and the overall fa├žade composition thus contributing to the variety of architectural detail found on the west side of Parnell Square.