Categories of Special Interest
Michael Garry Ltd
In Use As
1865 - 1885
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1875, having shopfront. Built as one of pair of with neighbour to north. Replacement flat roof having pair of corbelled red-brick chimneystacks with red brick coping behind red brick parapet with squared granite coping. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front elevation having painted signage to upper floors. Camber-headed window openings with gauged voussoirs, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Panelled granite and brick shopfront comprising pilasters on ogee-chamfered bases capped by fluted console brackets with medallions. Older fascia and cornice concealed by recent timber fascia. Recessed porch to shopfront having replacement timber door and steel shutters. Square-headed door opening to north end flanked by stone plasters having timber rendered reveals, timber panelled door and three-pane timber overlight.
Built as one of a pair, this Victorian building is a recognisable landmark in the streetscape due to the pleasant paint advertising to its upper floors. Although partially obscured the early shopfront also survives in situ and adds interest. The building makes an significant contribution to the variety of the streetscape, providing a pleasant example of Victorian architecture in an area largely dominated by Georgian architecture.