Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1865 - 1885
Corner-sited three-bay three-storey brick public house, built c.1875, having shopfront to front (east) elevation, and recent two-storey extension to rear (west). Replacement flat roof behind parapet with squared granite coping, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Brick wall to front elevation laid in stretcher bond, and buff brick to side (north) elevation with chamfered granite plinth course over brick plinth throughout. Clock face and decorative lamps to front elevation with recent raised lettering to parapet. Remains of historic shopfront to side elevation comprising timber fascia with raised lettering, architrave, cornice and console brackets. Gauged camber-headed window openings with brick reveals, granite sills and ogee-horned six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Wrought-iron balconettes to front elevation window openings. Replacement timber-framed casement windows to ground floor of side elevation having steel window guards. Brick and granite shopfront comprising engaged square-plan brick pilasters with granite caps incorporated into granite frieze and cornice. Granite platband to springing of round-headed door and window openings. Openings having raised carved granite keystones and gauged brick voussoirs, with moulded granite sills to window openings. Fixed timber display windows to shopfront having recent wrought-iron window guards. Double-leaf timber panelled doors to entrance with single-pane overlight and granite threshold opening directly onto street. Internal lobby having double-leaf glazed timber doors. Camber-headed door opening to side (north) elevation having recent timber door and overlight.
Built for use as a commercial building in the late nineteenth century, this pleasant public house stands upon the intersection of Yarnhall and Bolton Street. It has retained much of its historic fabric including sash windows and an unusual shopfront which adds to the variety of the surrounding streetscape and the wider north Georgian city. It provides an example of a Victorian brick and stone shopfront, is well presented and slightly lower roofline contributes to the variety and rhythm of the streetscape while the prominent signage to the parapet ensures that it stands out from its neighbours.