Categories of Special Interest
J.L. Smallman Ltd
In Use As
1690 - 1730
Corner-sited nine-bay three-storey warehouse over concealed basement, built c.1710. Still in original use. Pitched slate roof, stepped with lower roof to north. Cast-iron hopper, downpipe and steam pipe to north of east elevation. Ruled-and-lined painted rendered walls. Painted lettering to ground floor of east elevation ‘J.L. SMALLMAN LTD. PLUMBERS MERCHANTS’, and low granite plinth to ground floor. Camber-headed window openings to first and second floors of east elevation, having timber casement windows, rendered reveals and granite sills. Seven bays of twin square-headed windows to ground floor of east elevation, having continuous painted granite sill and timber casement windows protected by spoked cast-iron bars. Square-headed window openings with timber casement windows to centre of first and second floor of north elevation, having irregular fenestration layout with two offset windows to first floor and one central to second floor. Round-headed door opening with rendered and painted granite surround to centre of east elevation, having projecting keystone with three quoins on either side. Double-leaf nine-panelled timber doors with plain round-headed glass overlight having red letter 'S' in red hexagon. Granite entrance platform. Two secondary square-headed entrances to north elevation, having one modern security door and one timber door with iron railings. Trap door to north path giving access to basement.
This nineteenth-century industrial building has retained its original use as a warehouse and contributes to the industrial character of this cobbled backstreet which was historically occupied by similar structures. This building retains its original massing and form, and the retention of the doorcase to the east elevation is notable. There are many new apartment developments on North Lotts, and Smallman’s is a valuable reminder of the industrial heritage of the street. 'The Lotts' probably refers to the twenty acres of land purchased and divided into twenty-eight lots by the property developer, Humphrey Jervis (1630-1707), Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1681-3, who attempted to lease the lots at ten pounds each. Jervis laid out the area around Saint Mary’s Abbey after buying much of this estate in 1674. Jervis developed a network of streets arranged in a nine-square grid, including Jervis Street, Stafford Street (now Wolfe Tone Street), and Capel Street, as well as building Essex Bridge.