Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1825
Terraced single-bay four-storey house, built 1823, with shopfront to ground floor. M-profile roof, hipped to south, having shared red brick chimneystack to north, hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with masonry coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, recently re-pointed. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to front having masonry sills and timber tripartite sliding sash windows, six-over-three pane with two-over-one pane sidelights to third floor, and six-over-six pane with two-over-two pane sidelights to first and second floors. Shopfront comprising fluted timber Doric columns on square plinth bases supporting timber entablature and moulded cornice, with square-headed window openings with bipartite fixed timber display window on timber sill and panelled timber stall riser, square-headed door opening with recent timber door, and square-headed door opening to south end having timber panelled door and four-pane overlight.
This modest late Georgian building forms part of a terrace of shops, having residential space upstairs, laid out 1823 by the Wide Streets Commissioners. Its tall, narrow façade is enhanced by timber tripartite windows and a simple but well-executed timber shopfront, which adds contextual as well as aesthetic interest. The composition of the façade is replicated in the neighbouring buildings to the north, creating a sense of uniformity and making a significant visual contribution to the streetscape. The buildings reflect the early, predominantly commercial, function of Capel Street, which was one of the primary thoroughfares of the city until the early part of the twentieth century.