Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Corner-sited three-storey house, built c.1890, having two bays to Capel Street and three bays to Parnell Street, with continuous shopfront to ground floor and three-bay return. Slate roof, hipped to front, set perpendicular to street, with red brick chimneystack having clay pots to rear (east) elevation. Roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall with masonry coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, moulded to corner, having moulded red brick string courses over first and second floor windows, red brick string course at sill level to second floor. Gauged brick segmental-headed window openings, paired to south elevation, with masonry sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront has original cast-iron column to corner on plinth base and having moulded capital and maker's insignia to shaft, with recent shopfront infill.
Prominently sited at the junction of Parnell Street and Capel Street, this modest building is enlivened by moulded red brick string courses and segmental-headed windows. The cast-iron column supporting the fascia is mirrored in the building on the opposite corner, framing the view along the street from this corner. Capel Street was laid out in the late seventeenth century, although most of the surviving architecture dates from the succeeding two centuries, such as this aesthetically-pleasing Victorian building. It was one of the primary commercial thoroughfares of the city until the early twentieth century.