Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1800 - 1810


315281, 234686

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced four-bay four-storey house, built c.1805, formerly pair of two-bay houses. Now in use as artists' space. Double-pile hipped slate roof to front (east) elevation, and adjoining flat roof to rear, having shared red brick chimneystack and clay pots to north, hidden behind rendered parapet wall with masonry coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods to fa├žade. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls to moulded masonry cornice over rendered ground floor and plinth course. Yellow-brick walls to rear (west) elevation. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills, render reveals and timber sliding sash windows, three-over-six pane to third floor, six-over-six to second floor and nine-over-nine to first floor. Square-headed window opening to ground floor having recent fixed timber display window. Replacement UPVC windows to rear. Round-headed door opening set within shallow recess, having timber panelled door and plain fanlight. Door opens onto two granite steps. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and overlight, opening onto two granite steps.


The form of this substantial townhouse indicates that it comprises a pair of houses, now in use as a single building. Despite this and other alterations, notably the removal of the doorcase, it retains some early fabric, including a variety of timber sash windows, the decreasing scale of which is indicative of the architectural design of the building. Forming part of a late Georgian terrace lining the west side of Capel Street, of which the parapet height and fenestration rhythm is largely maintained throughout, this building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. Capel street was one of the primary commercial thoroughfares of the city in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, having been laid out in the late seventeenth century.