Survey Data

Reg No

50010586


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1760 - 1780


Coordinates

315284, 234673


Date Recorded

02/12/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1770, having extended shopfront and porch to ground floor. Hipped slate roof to front adjoining flat roof to rear, hidden behind rendered parapet wall with masonry coping. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls having channelled masonry quoins to upper floors. Square-headed diminishing window openings having masonry sills, patent render reveals and timber sliding sash windows, three-over-six pane to third floor, six-over-six to second floor and nine-over-nine to first floor. Flat roof to shopfront and porch to ground floor having lead flashings. Rendered square-plan corner pilaster supporting rendered entablature to shopfront, housing plate-glass display window. Square-headed door opening to shop proper with recent glazed timber door and overlight to north side of shopfront projection. Rendered porch having three-quarter engaged square-plan Doric-style pilasters on plinth bases supporting rendered entablature. Square-headed door opening to east elevation of porch with timber panelled door and overlight. Granite step to entrance.

Appraisal

Capel Street was laid out in the late seventeenth century and was one of the primary commercial thoroughfares of the city until the twentieth century. This early Georgian building is an example of some of the earlier extant material of the street, dating from the late eighteenth century. Its decreasing scale of fenestration is typical of the Georgian era of design, and its well-composed fa├žade is enhanced by its close similarities with neighbouring buildings, presenting a unified aspect to the street. Although it has been altered by a ground floor extension, it makes a significant impression on the streetscape.