Categories of Special Interest
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1800, with timber shopfront to ground floor. Not currently in use. Steel supports to elevations, with plastic sheeting cover to east. M-profile pitched slate roof, with rendered chimneystack having clay pots adjoining east party wall. Cast-iron downpipe to west of ground floor. Rebuilt yellow clamp kilned brick parapet wall having masonry coping. Clamp-kilned brick walls with widespread charring and oxidation, laid in Flemish bond, rendered to east elevation. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to front with painted masonry sills and recent six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising timber fascia and dentillated cornice over square-headed window display openings on panelled timber stall risers, flanking square-headed door opening. Square-headed door opening to east end of shopfront having original timber panelled door with brass knocker, overlight boarded up.
Although it has been structurally compromised by the demolition of the terrace to the east, this building retains much of its early form and fabric, including timber sash windows, and some of its timber shopfront, which adds contextual interest to the façade. The wide range of tones and colours seen in the clamp-kilned bricks forms a pleasing contrast to the regularity of the Hoffman-kilned bricks of neighbouring buildings. Located near the junction of Parnell Street and Capel Street, it would once have been prominently sited and this original importance is commemorated by diminishing window opes which add an illusion of height to an otherwise modest structure.