Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1760 - 1780
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1770, having shopfront to ground floor. Built as one of six. Hipped roof having terracotta ridge tiles, shared rendered chimneystack with clay pots, hidden behind rendered parapet wall with masonry coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods to façade. Rendered walls to upper levels. Square-headed window openings to front (east) elevation with painted patent render reveals, masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows, diminishing to upper floors. Rendered wall to ground floor, surmounted by masonry string course and having masonry plinth course. Square-headed window opening with granite sill and painted masonry architrave surround, recent fascia and canopy over. Doorcase to north end with round-headed door opening, comprising engaged columns on plinth bases with squared fluted capitals, moulded lintel cornice and moulded architrave surround to plain fanlight over timber panelled door. Door opens onto granite flagged platform having two granite steps to footpath. Platform enclosed by spoked wrought-iron railings terminating in cast-iron end-posts with urn finials, on granite plinth wall.
This house forms a component part of a terrace of six which were built by Ralph Ward c.1770 on the site of one of the two original detached houses on Capel Street, the mansion built for built for Thomas Connolly, Speaker of the Irish House of Commons, in the 1720s. The terrace is a rare example of formal street design in Dublin, having comprised an advanced six-bay centre flanked by four-bay wings, this building constituting an element of the south wing, although recent reconstruction of 103-104 has left the latter flush with the original centrepiece. Although this building has been altered somewhat, it retains its original form and a number of notable features, including a well-executed doorcase, which provides aesthetic interest. Singly or viewed as part of a unit, this building makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.