Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1760 - 1780
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1770, having shopfront to ground floor. Built as one of six. Hipped roof having terracotta ridge tiles, shared rendered chimneystack with clay pots, hidden behind rendered parapet wall with masonry coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods to façade. Ruled-and-lined rendered wall with original pawnbroker's balls and clock bracket. Square-headed window openings to front (east) elevation with painted patent render reveals, masonry sills and timber sliding sash windows, three-over-three pane to third floor, and six-over-six pane to first and second floors. Shopfront to ground floor comprising fluted masonry engaged pilasters on plinth bases supporting entablature and cornice over recent fascia, set against rendered wall. Inlaid gilded panels and gilded decoration to pilasters. Central square-headed window opening having glazed display window on timber sill, glazed panel to riser below on masonry plinth. Round-headed door openings to end each end of shopfront, with moulded lintels and architrave surrounds and timber panelled doors opening onto two nosed granite steps, with plain fanlights. Doorsteps set on shared granite-paved platform with nosed granite step to pavement, having cast-iron railings with urn finial to end-post on moulded granite plinth wall to south.
This house forms a component part of a terrace of six which were built by Ralph Ward c.1770 on the site of one of the two original detached houses on Capel Street, built for Thomas Connolly, Speker of the Irish House of Commons in the 1720s. The terrace is a rare example of formal street design in Dublin, having comprised an advanced six-bay centre flanked by four-bay wings, this building constituting an element of the south wing, although recent reconstruction of 103-104 has left the latter flush with the original centrepiece. This building retains its original pawnbroker insignia to the front, providing contextual interest. The well-executed pilastered shopfront to the ground floor is notable, adding decorative as well as contextual interest to the façade. Timber sash windows are retained throughout. The position, scale and finely-crafted shopfront make a significant contribution to the streetscape.