Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1990 - 2000
Terraced two-bay four-storey apartment building of c.1996, having commercial premises to ground floor with shopfront of possibly c.1900. Shopfront comprising fluted Doric square-plan pilasters supporting projecting piers flanking fascia, moulded cornice, tripartite square-headed fixed timber display windows with obscured glass multiple-pane overlights and timber glazing bars, over panelled stall-risers and moulded plinth. Timber mullions having engaged Corinthian columns over projecting piers with turned ornament. Painted timber doorcase comprising square-headed door opening housing original timber panelled and fluted door with cast-iron door furniture, flanked by miniature, turned Ionic pilasters on fluted blocks. Panelled frieze surmounted by broken scrolled pediment. Original granite kerbing to front with engraved 'S' to one kerbstone.
This recently built structure is distinguished by the apparently Edwardian shopfront to its ground floor. It is one of four successive similar structures along Capel Street, an important thoroughfare laid out from c.1678 by Humphrey Jervis to link the Essex Bridge to the Great North Road, continued to be an important commercial area throughout the early part of the nineteenth century and this shopfront commemorates this later development. The well-composed shopfront at No.111 is articulated by delicately executed carving seen in the fluted pilasters, Corinthian-style mullions, and a broken pediment to the doorcase which serves to highlight the fine original door.