Categories of Special Interest
1990 - 2000
Terraced two-bay single-storey timber and glazed Edwardian shopfront, erected c.1900, now fronting commercial space in building rebuilt 1996. Shopfront comprising square-plan Doric pilasters on plinth blocks, supporting doubled console brackets with acanthus leaf ornament flanking fascia. Moulded cornice over. Panelled stall risers over moulded plinth. Tripartite square-headed fixed timber display windows having semi-circular plan moulded mullions supporting decorative brackets to south end of elevation. Timber doorcase to north comprising square-headed door opening housing original timber panelled door with cast-iron door furniture, flanked by panelled square-plan timber piers, panelled and having decorative console brackets supporting panelled frieze and pointed dentillated pediment. Original granite kerbing to front.
This Edwardian shopfront forms one of four successive similar structures attached to re-faced buildings of c.1996 along Capel Street, an important thoroughfare laid out from c.1678 by Humphrey Jervis. As one of a few extant shopfronts of its time period, and with salient features such as decorative brackets, a dentillated pediment and turned mullions, this structure is a highly significant part of the streetscape. The acanthus leaf decorative embellishments add interest and contribute to its architectural and artistic significance.