Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Four cast-iron bollards, erected c.1880, located at north end of O’Connell Street on central mall. Round in plan, approximately one metre high, bollards have pinched cylindrical form with highly decorative scrolled detail, pierced holes and capped domes with foliate motifs, all set in recent granite paving.
These four cast-iron bollards have elaborate Victorian mouldings and may have been erected as air-vents. Incorporated into the recent refurbishment of O’Connell Street’s street furniture, they are a highly decorative element on the streetscape and add to the wealth of monuments and street furniture that has accumulated on the central mall over the course of two hundred years.