Survey Data

Reg No

50010542


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Building misc


Date

1920 - 1925


Coordinates

315843, 234777


Date Recorded

06/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced five-bay four-storey commercial building with attic, built 1924, now in use as amusement arcade and having recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof with pan-tiled front pitch having five dormers. Red brick chimneystacks to both party walls with cement coping and clay pots. Dormers set behind red brick parapet wall with cement coping and deep moulded Portland stone cornice to base. Machine-made red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to upper floors with Portland stone course to third floor sill level. Central three bays slightly recessed with upper floor windows arranged vertically with Portland stone frames and brick panels between. Square-headed window openings throughout with plain Portland stone surrounds to outer bays, steel casement windows throughout and painted window aprons to central windows with gilt wreaths, festoons and frames. Continuous Portland stone cornice at first floor sill level with Portland stone architrave and frieze. Structure extended full depth of site.

Appraisal

This commercial building was built to replace earlier structures damaged during the widespread destruction of the 1916 Rising. The present shopfront possibly disguises the original scheme beneath but manages to respect the symmetrical five-bay arrangement of the upper floors. The retention of original steel windows and fa├žade embellishments gives the structure some integrity and forms part of the early twentieth-century character of the streetscape.