Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1920 - 1930


315847, 234756

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey commercial building over concealed basement, built c.1925, with recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof with pitch to front and two copper-lined box dormers behind red brick parapet wall with granite coping and deep moulded granite cornice to base. Red brick chimneystacks with moulded granite coping to both party walls. Square-profile downpipes set in recesses to either side of front elevation. Machine-made red brick walls laid in Flemish Bond with full-span moulded granite course below third floor, recessed brick panels above second floor and decorative granite panels between first and second floors with rosettes. Square-headed window openings with plain granite architrave surrounds and original single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Central feature window to first floor with decorative scrolled console brackets and cornice surmounted by cartouche and festoon. First floor windows rest on decorative granite sill course with fluting, paterae and egg-and-dart moulding. Iron-glazed basement lights to front pavement.


This building was erected as part of the reconstruction of O’Connell Street following the widespread destruction during the 1916 Rising. Designed by W.H. Byrne in 1924 the building respects the traditional Georgian plot ratio of the previous building. While the shopfront has been replaced the upper floors display decorative stone carvings in a loosely neo-Classical manner and adds to the wealth of early twentieth-century architecture that now characterises much of the street.