Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Pair of cast-iron lantern post bases and six cast-iron domed wheelguards, erected c.1820, in front of GPO. Lantern bases positioned to either end of GPO portico with wheelguards positioned in front of each column of portico. Lantern post bases are on octagonal plan with fluted panels to each side, gadroon moulding and dome with eight webs having fluted detail and moulded octagonal finial. Wheelguards have central rib and moulded collar in form of two scallops.
These items of street furniture enhance the setting of the GPO. The lantern post bases would have been powered with oil and installed soon after the building of the GPO. While the date of the wheelguards is uncertain, the similar mouldings may suggest a similar date and now constitute a very rare example of early nineteenth-century street furniture, further enhancing what is already a site of national importance.