Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Terraced two-bay four-storey shop over concealed basement, built 1920, now in multiple use as lingerie shop and offices, with recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind granite parapet having chimneystacks on party walls shared with No.30 to south and No.32 to north. Granite string course to base of parapet. Unified granite ashlar façade to Nos.29-33 O'Connell Street Lower, sharing same parapet height and having small variations in west elevation. Minimal granite classicism with engaged pilasters to attic storey, dentillated entablature and giant pilasters to first and second floors, pilasters shared with neighbours. Plain moulded platband and channelled engaged pilasters to ground floor. Square-headed window openings throughout, moulded granite window surrounds to first to third floors, rectangular moulded panels in low relief to second floor riser. Eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows to first to third floors having ogee horns and ring pulls. Combined interior with No.30 to south. Rear access from Earl Place via modern brick Clery's building.
This terraced retail building shares a unified minimal granite ashlar façade from Nos.29-33, having slight variations in each individual façade. The canted shopfront gives access to Ann Summers located in both Nos.30-31. The buildings together form an important part of the streetscape and help forge the local architectural identity. Sackville Mall was initiated by Luke Gardiner from 1749 when he purchased land from the Moore Estate and demolished the northern part of Drogheda Street, widening it to create a rectangular Mall. Leases were issued in 1751 and private mansions were built on the east and west sides of the street over the next decade. Gardiner's Mall was extended through Drogheda Street to the river as Lower Sackville Street by the Wide Streets Commissioners during the 1780s and 1790s and Carlisle Bridge was opened to the south of Sackville Street in 1795. Nos.29-34 were rebuilt in 1919 following the destruction of the 1916 Rising to designs by Donnelly, Moore, Keefe & Robinson, No.31 was then occupied by the Saxone Shoe Company.