Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1920 - 1925
Terraced two-bay five-storey building over concealed basement, built c.1922, now in use as pharmacy and health centre, and having recent glazed shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall with granite coping, having two chimneystacks on party wall with no. 4 to south. Red brick walls to west elevation laid in English garden wall bond, having machine-made red brick to second and third floors and older red brick to top floor. Portland stone string course to parapet. Portland stone cornice and carved brackets decorated with stacked coin and parchment scroll detail over deep lintel course of Portland stone. Channelled double-height quoin pilasters spanning second and third floor levels. Decorative carved granite bands with geometric detailing separating second and first floors, supported by carved fluted brackets. Channelled Portland stone walls to first floor and ground floor, having moulded platband separating them. Square-headed window openings throughout, three side-hung timber casement windows to fourth floor level with granite sills. Timber-framed casement windows to second and third floors, having granite sills and keystones to carved window surrounds of second floor windows. Replacement timber window to full width of first floor having six top-hung windows with carved granite border having carved round nail-head details and cornice above formed by moulding with Greek key frieze below and borne on paired fluted brackets. Upper floors accessed by timber double-leaf to north end. Three-bay two-storey cement rendered building to rear on Harbour Court off Eden Quay.
this building maintains the same parapet height as its neighbours. The attractive carving to the upper floors allows the structure to stand out, with the channelling complemented by the geometric detailing. Sackville Mall was initiated by Luke Gardiner from 1749 when he purchased land from the Moore Estate and demolished the northern part of Drogheda Street, widening it to create a rectangular Mall. Leases were issued in 1751 and private mansions were built on the east and west sides of the street over the next decade. Gardiner's Mall was extended through Drogheda Street to the river as Lower Sackville Street by the Wide Streets Commissioners during the 1780s and 1790s and Carlisle Bridge was opened to the south of Sackville Street in 1795. This building was preceded by a four-storey building with a shopfront, as shown on a photograph of c.1900, being rebuilt for the Great Western Railway company in 1912 by James Henry Webb and rebuilt again in 1922 by Donnelly, Moor, Keefe & Robinson for Hamilton Long & Co, following its destruction in the Easter Rising.