Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Cultural

Previous Name

The Confectioners Hall

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1915 - 1920


315932, 234469

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay five-storey house, built c.1917, having recent shopfront to ground floor and single-storey extension to rear. Now in use as retail premises. M-profile pitched slate roof having mixed replacement and cast-iron rainwater goods, concealed behind red brick parapet wall with ashlar granite coping. Red brick corbel table to eaves flanked by red brick consoles. Flemish bond red brick walls to upper floors and brown brick to rear, with rendered walls to extension. Tiled fa├žade to first floor of front elevation having tiled engaged pilasters, plinth course and platband with dentillated cornice over tiled dentillated fascia having applied lettering. Metal shield between windows with house number and establishment date. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs to third and fourth floor openings having masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Segmental-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs to second floor with chamfered surrounds and replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to first floor of front elevation having moulded tiled architrave surrounds, reveals and timber-framed windows. Square-headed window openings to rear elevation having gauged brick voussoirs, masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows.


The Confectioners' Hall was opened on this site in 1842 by Graham Lemon & Co. and was rebuilt, like much of this part of O'Connell Street, following its destruction during the 1916 Rising. Few restrictions were placed on these new buildings, except for those on height, cornice level and the use of a predominantly classical vocabulary. Consequently, there is a significant disparity between the external appearance of these buildings. Early twentieth-century tiling and signage to the first floor distinguishes this building. Mentioned in Ulysses as a stop-off point for Leopold Bloom and schoolchildren alike, this building is an example of the strongly retail-orientated historic character of O'Connell Street.