Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1915 - 1925


315935, 234463

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay five-storey house, built c.1920, having recent shopfront to ground floor and rebuilt first floor, and single-storey extension to rear. Now in use as restaurant. Flat roof concealed behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with masonry coping. Flemish bond red brick walls to upper floors having masonry sill courses to third and fourth floors. Ground and first floors framed by recent granite channelled pilasters and fascias, with moulded cornice to first floor. Masonry plinth forming sill course to second floor. Square-headed window openings to front (east) elevation, having shouldered and kneed moulded rendered architrave surrounds incorporating round details to lintels and having replacement uPVC windows.


Like many of the buildings on O'Connell Street Lower, the building on this site was destroyed during the 1916 Rising. Restrictions governing the parapet height of the replacement structures ensured that a sense of uniformity was maintained in this terrace, but otherwise there is little similarity between neighbouring buildings. This building is distinguished by painted masonry sill courses and render architraves, which articulate and enliven the red brick fa├žade.