Survey Data

Reg No

50010505


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1890 - 1910


Coordinates

315935, 234463


Date Recorded

19/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay five-storey house, built c.1900, having recent shopfront to ground floor and rebuilt first floor, and single-storey extension to rear. Now in use as restaurant. Flat roof concealed behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with masonry coping. Flemish bond red brick walls to upper floors having masonry sill courses to third and fourth floors. Ground and first floors framed by recent granite channelled pilasters and fascias, with moulded cornice to first floor. Masonry plinth forming sill course to second floor. Square-headed window openings to front (east) elevation, having shouldered and kneed moulded rendered architrave surrounds incorporating round details to lintels and having replacement uPVC windows.

Appraisal

A building which, on the evidence of contemporary photography, survived the 1916 Easter Rising largely unscathed. The building is distinguished by moulded architraves and stringcourses which articulate and enliven the red brick fa├žade.