Survey Data

Reg No

50010499


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1915 - 1920


Coordinates

315809, 234655


Date Recorded

20/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay four-storey house, reconstructed c.1917, having recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof with shared rendered chimneystack concealed behind red brick parapet wall with masonry cornice flanked by engaged channelled granite pilasters, ashlar granite platband and moulded granite cornice to eaves. Flemish bond red brick walls by engaged channelled granite pilasters having raised medallions to upper panel. Granite sill band to third floor and moulded granite platband with cornice over first floor window openings. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and timber casement windows throughout, having gauged brick voussoirs and granite keystones to second floor openings.

Appraisal

This pleasantly proportioned building forms an integral component of the streetscape, maintaining the parapet height and window alignment of its neighbouring buildings in the terrace. It also remains in keeping with the decorative motifs employed, incorporating moulded granite cornices, platbands, keystones and quoins. This replication of features from other buildings brings a sense of uniformity to the terrace, which was largely rebuilt following its destruction during the 1916 Rising.