Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1915 - 1920


315833, 234664

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey commercial building, built 1917-18, one of three identical structures in terrace, with shopfront ground floor and display window to first floor. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall, with faience coping and piers. Chimneystacks shared to party walls. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having faience frieze and cornice to base of parapet wall and channel rusticated faience quoins with wreath motifs framing each front elevation. Square-headed window openings with original timber casement windows, decorative moulded faience sills to third floor, shouldered and kneed faience surrounds to second floor, all with granite sills. Large display window to first floor has bowed ends, slender colonettes and sidelights flanked by engaged Ionic faience piers supporting timber fascia and continuous faience cornice over. Replacement shopfront to ground floor with stepped cornice.


This building was designed by Francis Bergin as part of the reconstruction of the O'Connell Street area following the 1916 Rising. It is one of three identical, vertically focused buildings. The quality of stone, brick and faience features and details makes this building a decorative part of the streetscape, and in conjunction with the other buildings in the group, makes a strong visual impression. This building retains its architectural detailing and windows and forms part of a collection of early twentieth-century commercial buildings that gives the area its architectural character and uniformity.