Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Pair of terraced three-bay three-storey brick commercial buildings, built 1920, with continuous replacement timber shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet wall having granite coping and brick chimneystack with clay pots to party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite cornice to base of parapet, extending across neighbouring building to north. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with granite sills and original timber casement windows.
Rebuilt by the architect Patrick Munden, as part of the reconstruction of the O'Connell Street area after the 1916 Rising, this pair of modest buildings conforms to a design that is repeated along the streetscape. The contractor was O'Rafferty and McGahan, of Great Strand Street. Despite the loss of original shopfronts, the retention of original windows and general composition provide for a coherent streetscape and fitting backdrop to the colourful market street.