Survey Data

Reg No

50010484


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1915 - 1920


Coordinates

315777, 234689


Date Recorded

18/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house, rebuilt c.1917, having render and timber shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof with red brick chimneystacks concealed behind red brick parapet wall having masonry coping. Flemish bond red brick walls with moulded granite cornice over flush granite platband to base of parapet wall. Roughcast rendered wall to side (north) elevation. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs and granite sills. Single-pane timber sliding sash windows to second floor, timber casement windows to first floor. Shopfront comprising rendered piers on plinth bases surmounted by fluted timber consoles having timber cornice and fascia. Square-headed window opening over rendered stall-riser flanked by square-headed door openings with replacement double-leaf glazed timber doors.

Appraisal

This modest building, along with much of the surrounding area, was rebuilt following the 1916 Rising. It is largely in keeping with the character of the street as a whole, maintaining the parapet height and fabric of the adjacent buildings to the south. The red brick fa├žade is articulated by a moulded granite cornice and coping, while the shopfront, although it has been significantly altered, adds both context and decorative interest to the building.