Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1920
Terraced four-bay three-storey building, built 1917, formerly two of seven similar houses with shopfronts to ground floor. Flat roof with shared red brick chimneystacks hidden behind red brick parapet wall having moulded limestone coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with channel rusticated limestone soldier quoins framing bays surmounted by limestone frieze and cornice, spanning terrace and moulded limestone string course over first floor. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with limestone keystones, sills and original timber casement windows. Shopfront has two display windows with door opening to either end. Each opening flanked by stop-chamfered piers abutted by polished granite pilasters with limestone Corinthian capitals on raised and panelled limestone plinths framing limestone stall risers with polished granite panels.
This building was one of seven similar structures that were rebuilt, after the 1916 Rising, by the architect Francis Bergin. The modest scale and detailing are enlivened by the decorative shopfront which exhibits quality stone masonry skills and is one of only four surviving on the terrace. The building initiates the drop in scale from Henry Street to Moore Street which is maintained on the east side of the street and provides a suitable backdrop to the colourful street market.