Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1930
Corner-sited terraced four-storey building, built c.1920, having three bays to Henry Street, single bay to Moore Street and canted bay at junction, with recent shopfront to ground floor. Now in use as commercial premises. Flat roof with red brick chimneystack to northern party wall, concealed behind red brick parapet wall with masonry coping, engaged red brick pilasters and granite cornice. Flemish bond red brick walls with flush granite bands to first and third floors. Diminishing square-headed window openings having granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Chamfered red brick reveals to third and second floor openings, gauged brick voussoirs and limestone keystones to second floor openings. Moulded granite surrounds to first floor openings surmounted by entablatures and cornices.
Although destroyed during the 1916 Rising, this building was subsequently reconstructed under the direction and design of E. Bradbury. With its unusual former corner sited entrance bay, it is a key building in the streetscape, situated at a prominent junction between Moore Street and Henry Street. Built in the style of late nineteenth-century commercial buildings, its façade is articulated and enhanced by timber sash windows and by granite detailing to the walls and window surrounds.