Categories of Special Interest
Irish Home Produce Co.
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Terraced gable-fronted single-bay four-storey commercial building with gable-fronted attic storey, built 1913-17, with shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof behind red brick gable with moulded limestone coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with brick pilasters rising from ground floor cornice to parapet surmounted by tapered limestone finials. Square-headed window openings with moulded limestone sill courses spanning façade. Flush block-and-start surround to third and fourth floors with chamfered openings and original steel casement windows. Gauged brick arched recess to second floor with replacement window openings to first and second floors, having concrete lintels and replacement timber windows. Replacement shopfront spanning ground floor with replacement brick pilasters and Portland limestone cornice over, continuing across façade of adjoining building to west. Bronze plaque to pilaster to east of shopfront commemorating site of Proclamation of Irish Republic.
Despite significant alterations, this building retains its general external form. It appears from 'Irish Builder' references that a new building was begun in 1913 on this site and by 1916-17 it was 'being erected'. The architect was George Palmer Beater, while the contractor was Dan Daly. This may mean that it did not suffer as much of the destruction as neighbouring buildings did following the 1916 Rising. Together with many of the surrounding buildings, the building has some architectural importance and has additional historic importance as the alleged site where the Proclamation of Independence was signed in April 1916. Plaque reads 'The Proclamation of the Republic was signed on this site in April 1916'.