Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1800, now in use as hairdressers. Flat roof hidden behind rebuilt yellow brick parapet wall having granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystack with terracotta pots at party wall with No.24 to north. Cast-iron hopper to north of east elevation breaking through parapet, shared with No.24. Yellow brick walls laid in English garden wall bond. Large advertising panel between first and second floor windows and barber's pole with stainless steel details attached to first floor. Gauged brick square-headed window openings to upper floors, having exposed reveals and painted granite sills to second floor, with replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Modern timber and metal shopfront to ground floor.
No.25 Liffey Street Upper maintains an attractive yellow brick east elevation, with a strong historic identity by dint of its timber sash windows. It is likely that it was built as a pair with No.24, sharing the same parapet height, brickwork and rainwater goods. This Georgian house undoubtedly contributes to the eighteenth-century character of the street. Liffey Street Upper formed part of the Jervis Estate, developed by Humphrey Jervis (1630-1707) in the area around Saint Mary's Abbey, after 1674. Jervis developed a network of streets arranged in a nine-square grid, including Jervis Street, Stafford Street (now Wolfe Tone Street) and Capel Street, as well as building Essex Bridge. Liffey Street Upper was occupied mainly by furniture brokers in the mid-nineteenth century, and today it is a shopping street, with many three-storey eighteenth-century houses converted into shops. An early eighteenth-century street, it was mostly rebuilt in the last decades of the nineteenth century.