Survey Data

Reg No

50010461


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Todd Burns


Original Use

Department store


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1900 - 1920


Coordinates

315522, 234550


Date Recorded

07/12/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced symmetrical nine-bay two-storey commercial building, built c.1910, only front façade retained in development of Jervis Shopping Centre of c.1998. Flat roof with slate front pitch having series of dormer windows hidden behind balustraded parapet with squat piers and moulded terracotta coping. Panelled raised brick parapet to central three bays with central dentillated open pediment surmounted by three pale terracotta urns and decorative pale terracotta panel with festoons and letters 'T B' flanking central oculus. Red brick walls to upper level laid in Flemish bond with moulded brick parapet cornice. Camber-headed window openings with lugged moulded terracotta architrave surrounds, concrete keystones and sills and replacement timber windows. Each bay flanked by brick Doric pilasters rising from continuous concrete platband over shopfront. Venetian window opening to recessed central bay having moulded terracotta surround, concrete keystone, terracotta mullions and original fanlight with replacement glazing. Portland stone-clad shopfront to ground floor spanning across adjacent building No.17.

Appraisal

This building was designed by C.B. Powell for Todd Burns & Co. c.1911 and displays almost identical detailing to Penney’s department store on the opposite side of the street designed by W.M. Mitchell, also for Todd Burns. The effect of the building is undermined by the modern shopfront which extends to the west and constitutes part of a retained façade. Nonetheless, the decorative upper floors with their flamboyant parapet adds to the early twentieth-century character of this stretch of streetscape. Mary Street was laid out by Humphrey Jervis as part of a large development in the area of Saint Mary’s Abbey after he bought much of this estate in 1674.