Survey Data

Reg No

50010458


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical


Original Use

Post box


In Use As

Post box


Date

1920 - 1940


Coordinates

315482, 234563


Date Recorded

05/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding cast-iron twin post box, installed c.1930. Oval-shaped on plan with shallow domed cap, moulded corona and two letter slots with applied enamelled plaques over each. To either side of slots is raised lettering 'Post Office' between neck mouldings. Raised and framed notices below slots with raised Gaelic lettering 'P & T' to central panel. Curved hinged doors to either side with integrated handles and plinth moulding below. Located on east side of Jervis Street near junction with Mary Street.

Appraisal

This well-preserved example of an early Free State pillar postbox complete with Gaelic lettering stands opposite the former Saint Mary's Church. Still in active use, the double aperture indicates a high volume of employment and represents a notable example of the high quality of mass-produced cast-iron work produced in the early part of the twentieth century. The raised Gaelic script lettering was used by the government for many official purposes in the early decades of the state and is an everyday historic artifact of the new state's infrastructure, as well as adding historic interest to the streetscape.